3 Sept 2014

Brush Up




Is there anything more satisfying to a beauty lover than purchasing a new makeup brush? I don't think so! Makeup brushes are essential for creating the 'perfect look'; they help achieve precision and that airbrushed finish we all long for.

I started my collection with the Real Techniques brushes which I had heard so much about. Everyone was raving about them and rightly so! First of all, the sets are perfect for anyone starting out or anyone looking to complete, or add to, their arsenal. The permanent sets include the Core Collection (a set of four face brushes), the Travel Essentials (two face brushes and one eye brush), and the Starter Set (4 eye brushes and one brow brush). In Australia, these sets retail for a ridiculous price so I purchased mine from Amazon. For reference, the Core Collection is sold at Priceline Pharmacies for AUD$44.99, but on Amazon they are currently selling for about AUD$16. I must mention, I purchased my Stippling Brush separately.

I find that the Real Techniques brushes wash well and maintain their shape. I love using the Buffing Brush to apply powder foundation, the Stippling Brush for applying my Tarte Amazonian Clay blushes, and the Multi-Task Brush for just about anything (blush, bronzer, setting powder, finishing powder). I only have two issues with these brushes; one is that I found that my Multi-Task Brush got a bit scratchy after being washed a few times (nothing too major) and the other is that the Stippling Brush bristles 'clumped' together. These haven't deterred me from the brand at all! In fact, I just put in an order for the Duo Fibre Collection… stay tuned for a review!

When I got my Zoeva Rose Golden Luxury Set, a lot of my Real Techniques brushes went to my mom. How could I resist this beauty?! I spent about AUD$80 on the set of eight (including shipping) and I do not regret it at all. The brushes are sturdy and well-made. The set comes with four face brushes, of which one is natural bristled and four eye brushes, of which two are natural bristled. I love and use every single one of the brushes, although I find that the 106 Powder brush is a bit awkward to use and although I force myself to pick it up once in a while, I still would much rather use my Multi-Task brush.

Finally, my three odd brushes. The first one is the Urban Decay Optical Blurring Brush. I picked this one up in Singapore in hopes of finding a foundation brush that would buff my foundation seamlessly and easily. I quite like this brush, however I find that it soaks up a lot of product. I tend to go for the Zoeva 102 Silk Finish brush instead. The second is the Benefit Hard Angle Brush which I got from my mom. We did a makeup swap a while ago and this was one of the things that I got. I like using this brush to fill in my brows as it provides a bit more precision than the Real Techniques one. Finally, my MAC 217; everyone raves about this brush and there are high claims of it being their absolute favourite eye brush and I just had to see for myself! I absolutely agree with those claims - this brush is a 'do it all' wonder!

There we go! Quite a long post, but now you are all well acquainted with my tools. Do you have a favourite brush set (or even just a favourite brush)?

Just letting you all know that next week I will not be posting anything due to high volumes of uni assessments. I will be back in a fortnight! 

3 comments:

  1. The Real Techniques are amazing quality, I love them x

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you so much! I most definitely will :)

    ReplyDelete

I would love to hear what you have to say! I always read your comments and try to respond to them as soon as possible. If you have an urgent question or message, please contact me at tweezersandtongs@gmail.com.