8 Jul 2015

Perfect Pairs


There are products that perform extremely well with certain tools and not so well with others. You might have a wonderful product but without the right tool to help you apply it on your face, you could be left with a less than desirable finish. There was a lot of trial and error with finding the right combination, particularly with the NARS foundation, and this all depends on how you like your makeup to look. I managed to find four perfect pairs of products + tools and I'm eager to share them with you, so here we go: 

NARS All Day Weightless Luminous Foundation + Real Techniques Buffing Brush
This foundation is a favourite of mine but boy is it tricky to work with. It's highly pigmented, very runny, and it dries fast. I was just about ready to give up on it when I started applying the foundation by pumping the product on the back of my hand and dotting it on my face, working one side at a time. I then go in with the buffing brush and just buff until my arms fall off (okay, I'm exaggerating but you know what I mean…. BUFF IT IN!). The finish is skin-like and it does not appear cakey at all. The brush really works the product into the skin and once your natural oils come into play, the foundation will look amazing. Trust me. 

Smashbox Step-By-Step Contour Kit + MAC 187
This combination is for the contour shade on the left of the palette. The 187 just picks up a small amount of product and allows for a foolproof contour application and because the brush is quite small, it's a perfect fit for under the cheekbones. I love this combination because the powder is so blendable and buildable that it really is impossible to stuff up your contour, particularly with a duo-fibre brush. You could also use the 187 for the highlight shade on the right, but I prefer using a larger, fluffier brush like the NARS Yachiyo Kabuki brush. 

Anastasia Beverly Hills Brow Powder Duo + Benefit Angled Brush (from kit)
I picked up this powder and brush combo from Karima over at Shameless Fripperies. The teeny angled brush is actually from the Benefit Smokin' Eyes palette and it's perfect because it's a synthetic brush that picks up just the right amount of product and because the bristles are stiff and short, you can really place each stroke on your brows. It's a good brush to use particularly if you want to work up an arch. 

Guerlain Meteorites Rainbow Pearls + Zoeva Powder Brush
Okay, Guerlain Meteorites are such a princess product and I admit that it was an impulse purchase enabled by my mother, but oh gosh is it gorgeous. It's a finishing powder that when applied makes you look like an ethereal being that just emerged from 100 years of sleep. It imparts the slightest glow onto the skin and makes you look awake and alive. The Zoeva Powder Brush doesn't pick up a lot of product which is good in this case because you don't want to overdo it with the Meteorites, you can get seriously shimmery. When you apply it, the super super soft bristles just hug your face and make you feel well… like a pampered princess! 

As I discover more product + tool combinations I'll be sure to let you guys know! What are your perfect pairs at the moment? Let me know below! 

2 comments:

  1. Oh what a neat post, very handy! I can't make that NARS foundation work for me! Yet when they applied it on me at the counter it looked great, so maybe I just need to use a different brush.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The NARS foundation is super tricky. It can look really patchy but the trick is really applying in sections and using a fluffy-ish brush. The woman working in the shop used the Hourglass fluffy foundation brush and that made it look amazing, so go with a brush that is in between buffing and fluffy and you're good to go!

      Delete

I would love to hear what you have to say! I always read your comments and try to respond to them as soon as possible. If you have an urgent question or message, please contact me at tweezersandtongs@gmail.com.