16 Jan 2015

Singapore Eats: My Top 4 Picks




Four days left in Singapore and already I'm missing the amazing food the little country has to offer. Singapore is quite a diverse country with many expats coming here to work, and as a result there is a very wide selection to choose from. I'm going to take you through a few places that I always go to whenever I'm in Singapore and what I recommend from them. 

ToriQ Japanese Yakitori (photographed above)
For those of you who are unfamiliar with yakitori, it is a very popular dish in Japan that is very cheap and accessible. ToriQ opened in 2000 at Takashimaya shopping centre and they now have 8 stalls around the country. Being close to Orchard Road, we like going to the one in Ion Orchard and Takashimaya shopping centres. It is popular among the locals and there is always a line, but due to the 'fast food' nature of the stall, you never have to wait too long. To cut it short, ToriQ has the best yakitori I have ever had; the quality of the food is just amazing. They offer bento boxes, but of course you can also choose what yakitori sticks you would like. The prices are also very reasonable. 

I recommend the chicken (SGD$1.00), chicken balls (SGD$1.50), and the chicken with leek (SGD$1.40) with the rice (prices are per stick).


Jollibean
Jollibean produces a multitude of products that incorporate soybean in one way or another. They offer soy milk, soy milk freeze (think a soy milk frapuccino), soy bean pudding, soy bean pancakes, and of course bean curd. When I was growing up in the Philippines, we had this man going around the village selling taho, which was essentially soy bean curd with sago and a sweet syrup; it was a family favourite! When we moved away from the Philippines and discovered Jollibean to offer something similar, we rejoiced. Jollibean provides 100% natural servings of soya milk which are prepared fresh every time. There are 30 Jollibean locations in Singapore, but we frequent the one in Great World City. 

I recommend the bean curd with pearls (SGD$2.50) which serves as a heavy, healthy snack. 




Garrett Popcorn Shops
I am not lying when I say that Garrett Popcorn Shops has the best popcorn I have ever had. Seriously. The popcorn is always fresh, crunchy, and never soggy (it has even lasted a trip back to Sydney). Garrett's offer their popcorn in a variety of sizes and even in specialty tins, which go up to 1 gallon. Their flavours include their signature flavours of CaramelCrisp, CheeseCorn, Buttery, Plain, and Chicago Mix (CheeseCorn and CaramelCrisp). Their specialty flavours are Almond CaramelCrisp and Macadamia CaramelCrisp. 

Kieran is a popcorn lover, like myself, and last year I brought home a small can of a mix of the different CaramelCrisps (which he devoured in a day). Safe to say, I got him a bigger bag this year! I recommend a mix of Buttery and CaramelCrisp for that sweet and salty mix! What I love about their CaramelCrisp is that it is not overly sweet that you'll be sick of it for a month. 


Ladurée 
A.K.A. Heaven. Last year, when my parents told me that Ladurée opened up a boutique in Takashimaya shopping mall I made it my mission to make it one of my first stops. I walked into the little shop and I honestly did not want to leave. Everything was colourful, decorative, and inviting. There was a subtle sweetness in the air from the various treats and the candle that they were burning. There's something about Ladurée that makes me feel like a small child again, and that's one of the reasons I've fallen completely in love with the pastry shop. They don't only sell their world famous macarons, but also chocolates, candles, cookbooks, and tea (all with quite a hefty price tag on them). Last year we got a box of 24 macarons to share (meaning half was basically mine) which cost about SGD$116.00 on promotion, a box of 15 macarons cost about SGD$60.00. Each macaron costs SGD$3.80. 

I recommend pistachio, salted caramel, raspberry, Marie Antoinette (seasonal), and strawberry candy marshmallow (seaonal). 

There you have it, my top 4 picks for the best food stops in Singapore. If you have any others to recommend, do let me know below! I'm going to be here again next year and would love to try out new places. 


6 comments:

  1. I love this post!! It makes me miss Singapore even more. I totally agree with your Garrett Popcorn recommendation (oh so good, especially the salty sweet mix!) and think I must try out ToriQ next time I'm there. Whenever I visit Singapore I always hit up Shimbashi Soba in the Paragon first before I proceed to tick of my favourite food list: chicken rice, carrot cake, popiah, kaya toast, ice kacang and chicken satays (in any order :P). Enjoy your last few days!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oooh, I'll definitely try out Shimbashi Soba next time I'm here! I don't think you can ever leave Singapore without having chicken rice… it's absolutely delicious :) Thanks for your recommendations!

      Delete
  2. Ive always wanted to try yakitori, it looks ad sounds so tasty!

    http://arnellavanilla.com/category/home/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It definitely is! In a way, I guess you could classify it as 'street food' in Japan as the businessmen often grab yakitori with beer after work. I love how simple it is, yet it is very very tasty and you have a variety to choose from :)

      Delete
  3. It all sounds and looks lovely! I've never been to Singapore but it sounds like a lovely place. x x

    www.beyondthevelvet.blogspot.co.uk

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Singapore is definitely a travel destination for the perpetually hungry and ready to shop haha! There is always something new to try out here (in terms of food) and you'll never get bored. Thanks for reading!

      Delete

I would love to hear what you have to say! I always read your comments and try to respond to them as soon as possible. If you have an urgent question or message, please contact me at tweezersandtongs@gmail.com.