11 Jan 2015

The Common Man's Coffee




Located on Martin Road in Robertson Quay, Common Man Coffee Roasters is one cafe that does not sit quietly. It is always bustling with people from the moment it opens at 8am to when it closes at 7pm. Many claim that their coffee is the best in Singapore, and while I cannot attest to that myself, I can tell you that it's pretty damn good. 

The first thing you notice about this place is the atmosphere. Every corner is alive with conversation between friends, colleagues, or family. There's a very homey feel to the cafe and if you sit at the counter, you'll notice the array of nostalgic items that have been repurposed into water pitchers and the like. You can sense the slight rush of the city among the people and coupled with the speedy service, I see Common Man's as the perfect place for the busy (common) man/woman. 

My family frequents Common Man's for breakfast on the weekends, having their usual Common Man Full Breakfast (eggs, bacon, sausage, tomatoes, chorizo… the whole shebang) and Common Man Pancakes (featured above). I opted for the Turkish Common Man Breakfast (SGD$25) which included a filo-wrapped soft boiled egg, two crispy feta balls, fresh seasoned cucumbers and tomatoes, olives, hummus, and pita bread. It was a hearty, protein filled meal however I did find it a bit overwhelming on flavour with the feta balls. The pita bread breaks up the flavours nicely, and the greens added some freshness. 

I was able to try some of the Common Man Pancakes (SGD$21) as mom couldn't finish them. The light and fluffy pancakes were topped with caramelised bananas and walnuts, a not very sweet salted caramel sauce, a mixed berry coulis, and finally crunchy crumble. I did not find this meal to be at all sweet. The sauce was not your typical caramel sauce; it gave the slight flavour of caramel without the overwhelming sweetness. The mixed berry coulis was just perfect and I honestly wish there was more of it. Although not mentioned, I do think that the pancakes were wholemeal. 

I ordered a mocha to start the day and I found the roast to be dark and wholesome, something you definitely won't find at Gloria Jean's. I'm usually someone who does not respond well to coffee, the mocha went down a treat. Now I'm no coffee connoisseur so I'm just going to describe the following as best I can:  I loved how frothy the milk was, which in turn made the rest of the drink quite frothy in itself; it was light yet very creamy. 

A word of caution, this place gets packed very easily. If you want to venture out to the cafe for breakfast, I recommend you get there before 10:30am, else you'll be stuck waiting in line. I went on a Saturday morning at around 11am and I could see a few people waiting in line for about 10 minutes by 11:30am. Plan ahead and pencil in breakfast at Common Man Coffee Roasters, you definitely won't regret it. 

Common Man Coffee Roasters
22 Martin Road #01-00
Tel. 6836 4695

Have you visited Common Man Coffee Roasters? What was your experience like?

No comments:

Post a Comment

I would love to hear what you have to say! I always read your comments and try to respond to them as soon as possible. If you have an urgent question or message, please contact me at tweezersandtongs@gmail.com.